COVID-19 vaccine and IBD
Patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) are frequently treated with immunosuppressive medications.
By Associate Professor Britt Christensen
- People with IBD are unlikely to be at increased risk of being infected with COVID-19 or developing serious health issues if they are infected with the virus.
- People using strong corticosteroids to manage Crohn’s or colitis are more likely to have health complications if they are infected with COVID-19. Strong corticosteroid treatment also lowers the effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- New research into vaccines for people who are immunosuppressed aims to create vaccination guidelines for this group.
- Rubin DT, Abreu MT, Siegel CA et al. Management of patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis during the coronavirus disease-2019 pandemic: results of an international meeting. Gastroenterology. 2020 (In Press) (part of international meeting)
- Al-Ani A… Christensen B. Review Article: Prevention, diagnosis and management of COVID-19 in the inflammatory bowel disease patient. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2020 Jul;52(1):54-72. doi: 10.1111/apt.15779.Epub 2020 May 26
- Al-Ani A… Christensen B. Practical management of inflammatory bowel disease patients during the COVID-19 pandemic: expert commentary from the Gastroenterological Society of Australia Inflammatory Bowel Disease faculty. Intern Med J. 2020 July. Doi: 10.1111/imj/14889
- Garg M… Christensen B. Low Population MortalityFrom COVID-19 in Countries South of Latitude 35 Degrees North-supports Vitamin D as a Factor Determining Severity. Authors’ Reply. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2020 Jun;51(12):1438-1439. doi: 10.1111/apt.15796.Epub 2020 May 12
- Garg M, Christensen B, et al. Gastrointestinal ACE2, COVID-19 and IBD–opportunity in the face of tragedy? 2020 doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2020.04.051
- Al-Ani A… Christensen B. Authors’ Reply to Letter: IBD Nurse – Pivotal Role in the Time of the Pandemic. Aliment Pharcol Ther. In Press. 2020
- A-Ani A…. Christensen B. Authors Reply To Letter: Is Pneumococcal Vaccination Safe During Covid-19 Pandemic? Aliment Pharcol Ther. In Press. 2020
- Seigal C, Christensen B et al. Review Article: Guidance for Restarting Inflammatory Bowel Disease Therapy in Patients Who Withheld Immunosuppressant medications During COVID-19. J Crohn’s Colitis. In Press. 2020
- Prentice RE, Al-Ani A, Christensen B. Managing COVID-19 in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: navigating unprecedented challenges. Internal Medicine Journal. 2021 Feb 1;51(2).
- Prentice R, Rentsch C, Al-Ani AH, Zhang E, Johnson D, Halliday J, Bryant R, Begun J, Ward M,7 Lewinden PJ, Connor SJ, Ghaly S , Christensen B. Review Article: SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. GastroHep 2021 Accepted. In Press
- Al-Ani AH, Prentice RE, Rentsch C, Christensen B. SARS-CoV-2 infection in two inflammatory bowel disease patients treated with dual targeted therapy-Authors’ reply. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2021:766-7.